New to Porsche- My 987S

M.Jarvis

3 minutes ago, Peopleandcars said:

I use Yokohama on my P cars - about to fit new V105s in place of the Potenzas the car came with

Amazing wet and dry grip... 

https://news.blackcircles.com/2014/02/yokohama-advan-sport-v105s-blackcircles-com-tyre-week-13-02-2014/

Not heard of these V105 tyres, I will have a look at these also!

• Like 1

Road or track?  

I'm a fan of the MPSS for the road and don't bother with N rated tyres, only needed if you have a Porsche warranty.  Tyre technology has moved on vastly in the last few years, the wear rate on tyres vs. performance has greatly improved which is where the MP4S really does come into it's own.  

The Yoko Advan are a bit old now, 5+ years - there's better tyres about for the money now.  

Not sure about the Kumho, never tried them. 

@Trickle it will be mostly road use but with a few track days and a trip to the ring etc per year hopefully.

the only reason I ask about the kumhos are I read about them being a super car tyre etc etc but they come in less than half the price of the Michelin ps4’s I bought for my previous M135i..... 

I have 18" rims so the PS4S are not an option, I have PS4's (on the front.....Super Sports on the back...story for another time),  They have been more than fine for my normal driving (and survived a track day at Castle Combe without any distress), but I'd echo  Beanoir's sentiments

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 22:37, Trickle said:

Road or track?  

I'm a fan of the MPSS for the road and don't bother with N rated tyres, only needed if you have a Porsche warranty.  Tyre technology has moved on vastly in the last few years, the wear rate on tyres vs. performance has greatly improved which is where the MP4S really does come into it's own.  

The Yoko Advan are a bit old now, 5+ years - there's better tyres about for the money now.  

Not sure about the Kumho, never tried them. 

What better tyre at price point would recommend? 

Indeed the advan 105s are not the newest but I liked them in all my cars 

Would like to get some good upgrade at same price point

Maybe Eagle f1 asy 3?

(I fly 18"s)

1 hour ago, Peopleandcars said:

What better tyre at price point would recommend? 

Indeed the advan 105s are not the newest but I liked them in all my cars 

Would like to get some good upgrade at same price point

Maybe Eagle f1 asy 3?

(I fly 18"s)

I’m on 19’s , Goodyear Eagle F1’s are fairly cheap though also. Around £100 cheaper per corner than pilot sports. Kumho ecsta are around £140 a corner cheaper than pilot sports...

6 hours ago, M.Jarvis said:

I’m on 19’s , Goodyear Eagle F1’s are fairly cheap though also. Around £100 cheaper per corner than pilot sports. Kumho ecsta are around £140 a corner cheaper than pilot sports...

Ah nice, F1 asymmetric 3 got good reviews!

https://www.evo.co.uk/features/18309/best-car-tyres-evo-performance-tyre-test

Edited by Peopleandcars
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 19:53, M.Jarvis said:

Thanks Beanoir! Yeh I’ve been having a look around and some of the motors in here are really getting the thoughts going! 

Track and fast road will be my main influence as this will be going to the Nurburgring and also oulton park my local track whenever funds allow!

Welcome!

keep an eye open on the MSV website for the March Porsche day at Oulton Park. A great Porkers only event at a sensible price and a lovely track to drive. 

Nice car BTW - always wanted a black Porsche (ended up with the ‘polar’ opposite of white ?). 

Thanks @Windymiller I will certainly keep an eye out for that. Would be nice to meet up with a few of the Porsche owners. This seems like one of the most welcoming forums I’ve joined. And I’ve been on all sorts from Peugeot to Honda and Subaru...

oulton is s a great track been on around 6/7 trackdays there now and absolutely love it. Local track for me.

I ended up with P-Zero's all round on 19s, far better than the Bridgestones that were on it and lots cheaper than any of the MPS family. My daily hack, summer and winter, even ice and snow and they have been very predictable. I doubt I will ever track day it as I cant risk not getting to work so extreme track performance doesn't apply, however even in hooligan mode, they stick well enough.

• Like 1

@987Monkey very true. I’m not necessarily on a budget but just seems ludacris to spend 500 on 2 tyres when a similar performing set of 2 tyres comes in at less than half the price. I do take onboard your comment on performance driving though! 

@Bushman I may also have a look at these p zeros. Heard good things about all of the tyres mentioned so far all except for the Kumho’s..... a friend of mine runs the kumhos all round on his 350z and really rates them.

@Windymiller well that’s good to know that even on track the GY hold up well.

dont get me wrong I don’t think I will be thrashing the CS quite as much as I did my EP3 so not quite at the cars limits but it will see some hard driving both track and road.

Michelin MPSS for me.  Tried GY (a bit vague on steering feel and just generally ‘squidgy’), Pirelli (shockingly low grip threshold) and Bridgestone RE (everything wrong).  

The Cayman is a purpose built sports car and generally considered one of the best drivers cars in its class - why put budget tyres on it and limit that experience?? ?

@DKR_77 what your saying is very true but I’m running my cayman on a little bit of a budget and don’t really want to be spending 600 quid on 2 tyres. 

I have some rainsports to put on for now with this wet weather and will be purchasing a decent set of tyres come spring next year is the plan (not much spirited driving left this year I don’t think?) 

So the rainsports turned up today to get me through the wet winter months when they will then be removed and Kumho ecsta PS91’s will take their place.

didnt realise that the uniroyal rainsport was manufactured by continental either.

13CE5B9B-534B-40D8-9799-BDCBB8B6CB42.jpeg

13A7C891-33D0-40E7-8429-09FC7BB98B20.jpeg

• Like 1